RETELL: Irish Thunder has been a great book up to now. Definitely not the best book I’ve ever read but it’s not far up there. So, to start, the man known as the Irish Thunder is named Micky Ward. Micky grew up in Lowell , Massachusetts . Lowell was known for its fighters, at every corner of a street, there was a boxing club. The day Micky was born, he was introduced to boxing. Micky had 1 brother and 6 sisters. His brother’s name was Dickie Eklund. Dickie taught Micky everything he knew about boxing. Dickie himself used to be a great fighter; he could have gone all the way. He even fought the legendary Sugar ray Leonard. But further in his career, drugs interfered and eventually ruined everything for him. This was common in Lowell . Kids get the wrong influence and try the wrong drugs, next thing they know, they get hooked on it and all they’re dreams go to waste. Micky was stronger than that though, he knew better. Even though Dickie was always in and out of jail he was Micky’s corner guy and trainer. But you couldn’t say he was the best, especially because you couldn’t rely on him. He caused a lot of stress for Micky. Sometimes he would be extremely late for the training session or he just wouldn’t show up. Most of the time it was because he was too busy getting high at the Drug House or getting in trouble with the law. Dickie had been to jail many times and got in a lot of street fights. Even though he caused many problems and distractions Micky’s mom convinced him to keep him as his trainer and he still got him in good enough shape to get into the Professional Boxing League. Up to where I’ve read, Micky’s record in professional fights is 16-4 with 12 knockouts. All of the fights were great and entertaining and the wins were well earned.
RELATE: I can relate a bit to Micky because I do myself Kick-Boxing. So I understand the adrenaline rush and excitement of fighting. Also, in the book, everybody in the club is very close, just like a family. And that’s exactly how it is at my club, it’s like if we’ve known each other for a long time and we can rely on one another. It’s a great feeling.
REFLECT: Up to now, I really like my book. As you read it gives you the feeling that you’re alongside Micky throughout all of his adventures. The book intrigued me so much that I decided to go on YouTube and look up plenty of his fights. Whenever I start reading the highlights and details of the fights, it always gets me pumped up and I just feel like getting up and going boxing! Micky is a role model, a hero, I’m so glad I finally found his biography. I’d definitely recommend it to a lot of people. I know they’d love it!
I've never heard of Micky Ward but he does seem to have had a difficult life growing up. The fact that his brother was influenced by drugs is hard for a whole family. I hope you keep enjoying this book and you keep us uptaded with your great blogs!
RépondreSupprimerI am planning on renting the fighter soon so I appreciate the insight you've given me on his life. Nice job!
RépondreSupprimerI've never heaard of him, but his biography sounds interesting. I feel bad for him, all that he had to go though for his brother. It's really good by the way, keep up!
RépondreSupprimer